S.E., LEED AP
Omar Garza holds a Master of Science from the University of California, San Diego (See EDUCATION, below) and has 10 years of experience in the structural engineering industry. He has played key roles on multiple projects throughout California focusing on advanced analysis and earthquake resilience, seismic evaluation and rehabilita- tion of essential facilities.
Membership in Professional Society | American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Structural Engineering Institute (SEI), Structural Engineers Association of California (SEAOC), ASCE 41 - Seismic Evaluation and Retrofit of Existing Structures Associate Member, American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC), California Board of Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors Subject Matter Expert for the Standard Setting Committee, 2011 SE Exam, California Board of Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors Standard Setting Committee, Beta Exam Development, 2014 Surveying Exam.
The following is a selection of relevant project work:
- TECHNICAL TRAINING, CIVIL ENGINEERING INFRASTRUCTURE UNIT OF THE MINISTRY OF HEALTH AND SOCIAL WELFARE, REPUBLIC OF LIBERIA (Monrovia, Liberia) 2014 – Project Manager. Nous Engineering provided capacity building and training in the use of analysis software for engineers in the Republic of Liberia’s civil engineering department as an extension of the Rebuilding Basic Health Services contract with funding from USAID.
- CPMC VAN NESS & GEARY NEW HOSPITAL DESIGN (San Francisco, California) 2008 - Design Engineer. Design of portions of the the steel frame structure, which occupies an entire city block in San Francisco. The current structural system is a steel moment resisting frame with supplemental viscous wall dampers to reduce earthquake demands. This will be the first application of wall dampers in the United States.
- DIGNITY HEALTH / ST. BERNARDINE MEDICAL CENTER, SPC-2 UPGRADE (San Bernardino, California) Ongoing - Project Engineer. Currently in the review phase, the Central Tower building is an existing six
story steel moment frame structure that was constructed in 1972. The retrofit plan is to provide velocity- dependent viscous dampers in an external special steel moment frame to limit drift demands on the existing structure. Nonlinear Dynamic Procedures in accordance with ASCE-41 were used to analyze the retrofitted structure to satisfy the Life Safety performance objective at the BSE-1 level earthquake hazard.
- STANFORD MEDICAL CENTER / LUCILE PACKARD CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL ADDITION AND RENOVATION (Stanford, California) Ongoing- Project Engineer. Currently in the construction phase, approximately 500,000 square foot addition to the Stanford Medical Center’s Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital. To achieve a high performance structure in the highly active seismic region, a lateral force resisting system including special moment frames, buckling restrained braced frames, and concrete shear walls was utilized.
- CENTINELA HOSPITAL MEDICAL CENTER / SEISMIC UPGRADES (Inglewood, California) Currently in the construction phase, engineering services were provided for seismically upgrading multiple buildings on the Centinela campus so that the structures may be reclassified as SPC 2, including an eight story reinforced concrete building and a two story concrete and masonry building.
- 6 PULP PAVILION (Coachella, California) Pulp Pavilion was a gathering space that was a respite fromthe sun and frenetic energy of the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in the California desert.
A blend of pulp, water and pigment was sprayed onto a three dimensionally woven lattice of natural rope, hardening into a rigid, self-supporting matrix that is much lighter than materials of comparable strength. Because this construction system has no known precedent, to engineer it meant performing substantial material testing. From small-scale experiments and extrapolated them into design criteria for the final form.
Nous Engineering, Inc. (Los Angeles, CA, USA) 2013–present.
Principal responsible for project management, client management, marketing and project development.
- - Standards for Health Infrastructure Ministry of Health and Social Welfare Republic of Liberia, 1st Edition. Monrovia, Liberia. 2013. Project Manager. Health/ Infrastructure.
- - Capacity Building and Technical Training – Infrastructure Unit for the Country of Liberia. Monrovia, Liberia. 2014-present. Project Principal. Government/ Infrastructure.
Degenkolb Engineers (Los Angeles, CA, USA) 2005-2013
Project engineer responsible for management of project finances, resourcing and execution, engineering analysis, client management, staff supervision, and business development.
- - Dignity Health- St. Bernardine Medical Center SPC-2 Upgrade, San Bernardino, CA, Project Engineer, Healthcare
- - Stanford Medical Center - Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital Addition and Renovation Stanford, CA, 500,000 SF, Project Engineer, Healthcare
- - Centinela Hospital Medical Center - Seismic Upgrades, Inglewood, CA, Project Engineer, Healthcare
- - Los Angeles Community College District Allied Health & Sciences Center Los Angeles Valley College, Valley Glen, CA, Project Engineer, Education
- - La Canada Presbyterian Church, La Canada, CA. Project Engineer, Religious Facilities
- - Black Box Theater and Mudd Auditorium Webb School, Claremont, CA, Project Engineer, Education
- - Toyota Campus Seismic Evaluations, Various Locations in California, Project Manager, Science and Technology
- - Master of Science in Structural Engineering
University of California, San Diego, 2005
Concentrations: Earthquake Engineering, Random Vibrations, Non-linear mechanical vibrations, Experimental Mechanics and Non-Destructive Evaluations, Soil Structure Interaction
- - Bachelor of Science in Architectural Engineering
The University of Texas at Austin, 2004
- - Woodbury School of Architecture, Burbank, CA, USA. 2014-Present
Structural Seminar and Studio, structural consultant, Adjunct Faculty
- - Cal Poly Pomona School of Environmental Design, Pomona, CA, USA. 2014 - Present
Structural Consultant, Adjunct Faculty
- - English (fluent - mother tongue)
- - Spanish (conversational)